Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Day 2 - More de-construction






Even more de-construction, ain't it grand? Really sort of amazing, when you look at a wall in your home, it seems substantial. It really isn't or at least not as substantial as it seems - sure are easy to take down.

Learned something pretty interesting regarding tile. Since we're going to retile the bathroom floor, the crew had to take out the old. Now when I did that my self back when I felt competent in a construction sort of way, it took me forever using a hammer and chisel. The crew who're doing the rennovation had a hammer-drill with a chisle bit. Did the entire floor in 45 minutes.

We also discovered that the tile around the tub (it used to be in the empty space above) had needed the grout sealed for a looooooooong time. The wallboard behind the tub was completely rotten and the metal studs in the wall had started to rust out. We would have have some real problems later had we not done this now.

We're also going to get to raise the ceiling. Seems the original wasn't fastened correctly and when the crews started taking down the wall, the ceiling volunteered to go away as well. We'll be able to raise it a good 4 to 6 inches. Luckily, this (I pray) is a fixed price project so we come out ahead.

The new swirly tub was delivered today. Product from Sanijet in Dallas (well, Coppell). I can't waait for that. Not only is it top of the line but it even has, get this, mood lights. I think I'll spend my retirement in the tub.

No comments: